Saturday, July 2, 2016

Admiring Ted Kooser

I am a huge fan of Ted Kooser, the former U.S. Poet Laureate.  I came to know his work through hearing it read on the radio and television, but I had not read his poetry myself.

But, last weekend I picked up a copy of Lights on a Ground of Darkness: An Evocation of a Place and Time which he published in 2005 with the University of Nebraska Press.

The book is dedicated to his mother. In it he begins by describing a scene in 1949 in Guttenberg, Iowa.

It begins..  
"Summer, 1949. Above the Mississippi, the noon sun bleaches the blue from a cloudless midsummer sky. So high in their flight that they might be no more than tiny motes afloat on the surface of the eye, a few cliff swallows dive and roll."
~Ted Kooser

I was hooked.
I was charmed.
I embraced the little book and all its flavor.
And devoured the words.

I think you will too. Have a lovely weekend.


All the best,
~Mary

Art Website: www.MaryLachman.com
Book Website: www.MothAtTheWindow.com
Facebook: Mary Lachman Design and Moth at the Window
To Order: Moth at the Window: Poetry of Grover W. Clayton and Recollections of Indiana 

No comments:

Post a Comment